The 2016 Conserver reunion was held April 7–9 in San Antonio. In attendance were 28 shipmates and 21 guests who enjoyed the accommodations at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, visiting local attractions, reconnecting with old friends, meeting new ones, and studying the great detail in the USS Conserver model — a project directed by James Richardson and unveiled at the reunion.
At the reunion dinner Saturday night, shipmates were given a chance to take the microphone and relate their favorite memories. The highlight of the evening was hearing a recorded message by Senator Richard Renick who shared his humorous story about when he reported to Conserver — in 1947!
Silent Auction, Raffle and Donations
For the third consecutive year, a silent auction was held to benefit the Conserver reunion fund. Shipmates brought a variety of items for auction. Treasurer Dale Hower reports that 15 items were auctioned bringing in a total $710. The 50/50 raffle brought in an additional $190. Donations totaled $230.
Reunion Business Meeting
Shipmate Kevin Weaver led the reunion business meeting and provided these points about future reunions:
- It was decided to keep the reunions annually in late April.
- The next 2 reunions will be San Diego in 2017 and Jacksonville in 2018.
- Three permanent committee members were selected: Kevin Weaver, Keith Hansen, and Dale Hower. Dale will remain as treasurer. Romondo Davis will continue to serve as communication coordinator. Thayes Hower (Dale’s wife), who is an events coordinator, and will handle the San Diego plans, and the Howers will act as hosts for the 2017 reunion. Kudos to Thayes for taking on this task.
- Forming an association was voted down.
- All future reunions will be three days in duration with discounted rooms available three days prior to and 3 days following the reunion.
- Any scheduled events requiring advance reservations must be paid along with registration fees.
- The cruise idea has been shelved for the near future until more information is available.
- Piggy backing on the NAFTS and ARS/ASR reunions was discussed but no dates were available at the time of the meeting.
- Kevin Weaver will be in Jacksonville, Florida in September for the USS Fulton (AS-11) reunion. While there, he will scout locations for the 2018 reunion.